Sr. Software Engineer – Java (Retail Technology)
Type of Employment: Contract
Work Location: Seattle, WA or Vancouver, Canada
Visa Information: 1099 or C2C
Skillnet is seeking a motivated and customer-oriented Sr. Software Engineer – Java (Retail Technology) for their retail client as part of their Software Engineering community in Seattle, WA or Vancouver, Canada.
Note – This job opening is eligible for a Referral bonus.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications systems, working on moderately complex to highly complex work tasks or project assignments.
- Gathers, analyzes and translates business and non-functional requirements into a solution design. May lead meetings to define business requirements and technical solutions. Executes tasks, estimates resources, establishes timelines and prioritizes work.
- Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current development and project management methodologies and practices.
- Manages work assignments according to current project methodologies or as directed.
- Prepares required documentation for the portion of work assigned.
- Consults with Quality Assurance and Business Analysts in the development and execution of test plans.
- Provides technical assistance and problem resolution for assigned systems. Leads resolution of production support problems in accordance with problem management policies and procedures. Leads resolution of production support incidents in accordance with incident management policies and procedures. Coordinates with vendors for problem resolution and change requests.
- Ensures that applications changes follow change management policies and procedures.
- Provides technical guidance to ensure that installed systems are working effectively and that proposed systems will meet organization’s future needs.
- Identifies and provides recommendations for system process improvements.
- Ensures smooth implementation of new technologies and vendor integrations by using their expertise on their assigned domains and interfaces.
- May act as a source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff
Note – Mostly sedentary work with little movement around the office.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology, or in a related technical field or equivalent technology experience.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible, post-baccalaureate work experience designing, developing, and implementing computer software projects in a web services-based environment utilizing opensource services framework.
- 5-10 years’ experience in OO design patterns and coding best practices – mainly in Java development (Windows, Unix, Linux and MAC)
- Experience must include programming with Apache Kafka.
- Experienced in developing object-oriented development frameworks within Agile/Scrum, and waterfall environments.
- Develops code, techniques and processes that interfaces with middleware, including: ETL, ESB, Web Services, SOAP, and XML.
- Proven expertise of networking concepts/protocols –TCP/IP, HTTP, SMTP, etc.
- 5-10 years’ experience writing SQL in one or more of the following: MS SQL, T-SQL, MySQL.
- 4+ years data base design / development experience in RDBMS platforms (SQL Server, Oracle), experience with NoSQL DB design/development preferred.
- Experience with logging and monitoring tools like Dynatrace, New Relic, Grafana & Splunk etc.
- Excellent presentation, verbal, written, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills including collaboration, facilitation and negotiation.
- Strong collaboration skills to achieve business goals collectively across broad teams.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- Experience with Retail systems is highly desired
- Experience in ETL transformations, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) Technology is a plus
- Experience & working knowledge in AWS Services (AWS Docker ECS, AWS Application load balancer, S3) is a plus